Saturday, April 3, 2021

1,000!

The last post here, the one with a bad pun in the title, was actually the 1,000th post here on this little blog. This blog got started way back in 2006 on MySpace, and I ended up moving it to this platform a little bit later (and probably losing any views from Tom, my MySpace friend). In the years since then, I've tried my best to share photos from lots of different places across Arkansas. There have been lots of posts about waterfalls (such as Bowers Hollow Falls, Cedar Falls, Triple Falls, V-Slot Falls, Twin Falls at Richland Creek, Haw Creek Falls, Glory Hole Falls, Bingham Hollow Falls, Cossatot River Falls and Ladderbucket Falls).

V-Slot Falls

And also a few other great scenic spots like Flatside Pinnacle, Lost Valley, Hickson Lake, Roark Bluff, Boxley Valley, Big Bluff and Blanchard Springs.

Goat Trail

And further afield, it has shown a few pictures from visits to places in Tennessee, Missouri, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, California, Oregon, Washington (state and D.C.), New Mexico, Arizona. And not to mention a few photos from Ireland, France, England, Mexico and Canada.

Bay City Rollers

And the past few years have been spent driving across the Delta for a photo project, that will hopefully someday find a home in an exhibition (it was supposed to have been on display last year, but that was postponed due to stupid Covid). But that means you can also find lots of photos of neat places in Pine Bluff, Stuttgart, Cotton Plant, Scott, England, Clarendon, Rohwer, Brinkley and Carlisle.

Star Search

I went back and looked at all the old posts the other day (and definitely cringed at how rough some of my older photos are), and started keeping track of which places I posted about the most. Unsurprisingly, most of the posts were of Little Rock since I live here and grew up in North Little Rock. So I broke it down into specific places in the city and within the Buffalo River (another well-trod location). So here is a breakdown of the places that have had the most photos posted on this blog:

With 41 appearances, it's a tie between the Big Dam Bridge and the Arkansas State Capitol. It's not surprising that the Big Dam Bridge clocked in with so many posts. I used to live by the bridge and would travel out there anytime it looked like there would be a cool sunset or maybe some fog.

Big Dam Puddle

Next on the list is the Junction Bridge, which appeared in 38 posts.

4th of July

After that it is Boxley Valley, with 26 posts

Boxley Barn

Petit Jean Mountain State Park follows up with 25 posts.

Cedar Creek

Richland Creek and Falling Water Creek aren't that far behind with 24 posts.

Falling Water Falls

The area around Scott has 21 posts.

Bear Skin Lake

Pinnacle Mountain State Park has 19 posts..

Starboard

Steele Creek/Roark Bluff has 18 posts...

Roark Bluff

Along with 18 posts for Hot Springs...

Hot Springs

And 18 posts for the Clinton Library and the Clinton Park Bridge....

Stormy Sunset

And I wouldn't be a true native of North Little Rock without having at last 17 posts of the Old Mill.

Old Mill

The most commented post so far has been this one from 2009, with photos from of the ruins of the old barracks at Fort Chaffee on a cold and frosty morning.

Ruins of Fort Chaffee, near Fort Smith, Arkansas

I have to admit that it's often hard to think of things to write about here. It always helps to at least have something mildly interesting happen that makes a decent story. That said, I think one of my favorite posts was this one about my failed attempt at hiking to Twin Falls at Richland Creek.

Richland Creek

And to anyone who has made it this far, I would like to profusely thank y'all for reading this blog. The Internet is littered with all sorts of abandoned photo blogs, but I'm going to try my best to keep this one going for as long as I can take new pictures and write up some nonsense about them. And speaking of photo blogs, I've added a few other active photo sites onto the side of this blog. If you have one, or if you know of any other ones, please let me know and I'll add it. Thanks!

No comments: