Thursday, March 13, 2014

Oregon - Elowah Falls

On our last day in Portland, I was able to make another trip out to the Columbia River Gorge. It was on a Sunday afternoon, and since it was the weekend the waterfalls were completely packed with people. I drove by Multonah Falls and didn't even bother to stop. It was packed with people, I doubt there would have been any room to walk up there.

I drove over to one waterfall I really wanted to see, Elowah Falls. And since you have to do a hike to reach it, I figured it wouldn't be as crowded as the falls that you can see from the road. There were just a few cars in the parking lot, and I only met a few other people on the trail.

The trail to Elowah Falls is short, but requires hiking up a hill and then switchbacking down to the falls. It's a pretty hike through a mossy forest.

P2237118

P2237126-2

Elowah Falls is 289 feet tall, dropping down a basalt cliff into a pool surrounded by boulders.

P2237275

The creek below the falls. The spray from the falls was so strong that it flow and move down the creek like a fog.

P2237201

It was a constant battle to keep the lens free of water...

P2237212

This is my favorite waterfall out of the many waterfalls we saw in Oregon. I really liked how you got to see more of the creek below the falls, as it flows past rocks and trees covered in a carpet of moss.

P2237251

P2237272

And one last shot from Elowah Falls, and Oregon. There are a lot more waterfalls out there that we didn't get to see. Hopefully we can make another trip out there again soon...

P2237279-2

No comments: