Tuesday, July 19, 2022

The Old Sheridan Barn

A really good photographer that I follow on Instagram recently posted a picture of a grand old barn near Sheridan, which was sadly starting to fall apart. I reached out and she was kind enough to point me in its direction. So one Sunday afternoon I hurried over to get a few pictures before more of it collapses. But along the way I stopped by an old church near Alexander, which has also been left alone and abandoned.

Untitled

Untitled

I drove south and eventually reached the old barn. It sits right outside of Sheridan, which has a population of about 5,000 and is the county seat of Grant County. It looks like the loft inside the barn has collapsed, along with some of the interior walls. The shell of the exterior is still holding up, but who knows for how much longer.

Untitled

P7030110

It is a very photogenic old barn. I wish I had the opportunity to get pictures of it earlier.

Sheridan

IMG_8662-2

P7030121

My apologies for posting so many pictures of just one barn, but it was such an interesting old place that I couldn't help but take a ton of pictures...

P7030153

Advertisements used to hang on both side of the old barn. The ads on one side were completely faded and gone. But on the other side there remained the remnants of few previous signs (one for a bank and the other for real estate, maybe?).

IMG_8715

P7030149

Scattered around the barn were pieces of the metal roof, which had curled and twisted off from the barn like they were peeled off with an old-timey can-opener.

IMG_8705

P7030142

I headed back to the car and the welcome embrace of air-conditioning, and started to drive back home. But along the way I made a quick stop along this road that seemed to go through a tunnel of overhanging trees.

P7030161

And then I quickly pulled over to get a picture of this abandoned building, which may have once been a market (according to a sign that was almost completely covered by vegetation).

IMG_8750

IMG_8753

P7030171

And one last shot, before heading back to Little Rock:

P7030174

No comments: