Thursday, August 5, 2021

Out By Scott

I wanted to take the new infrared camera out for a few more pictures, so I took a few hours off work to drive through the flat Delta lands around Scott and Keo. There are lots of old abandoned structures out there, and a few swamps too. Plus the day was going to be somewhat cool (only in the 80s, much better than the nearly 100 degree temperatures that would happen later that week).

The first stop was just outside of Scott, in a spot near the old Marlsgate Plantation and Bearskin Lake.

Delta

Delta

Delta

Driving further down the road, I passed by this old tree that was growing right alongside the pavement.

Delta

I turned off the main road and went onto a bumpy and dusty gravel road that cut through the middle of soybean fields.

Delta

The road eventually ran by this old church, which looks to have been abandoned for quite awhile. The cornerstone on the church said that it had been built in the 1960s. There's no telling when it was abandoned.

Delta

Delta

Delta

I headed back to the main road, which then ran by this orchard of pecan trees. I pulled over for a few more pictures.

Untitled

Untitled

South of Keo was this batch of metal silos, which had a tractor parked nearby.

Delta

Just down the road was another old church, which also looks like it has been abandoned for some time. Part of the roof looks like it has collapsed, and hundreds of wasp nests guard the doors and interior (I wasn't brave enough to go inside).

Delta

The next stop was an oxbow lake, which was once the main channel of the Arkansas River. It it's now closed off and home to thousands of tupelo and cypress trees.

Delta

Untitled

Since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to drive over to Pecan Alley, a stretch of road that is lined with century-old pecan trees. Unfortunately, it looks like a recent storm did some significant damage on the trees here. Several trees had been knocked down, and many had lost big limbs.

Pecan Alley

Just down the road is another abandoned church, one that I've been taking pictures of for many years. So I made one more stop, and got this view from under a large tree that casts shade over a few graves in a small cemetery.

Delta

I drove by another set of silos, the same ones that I took a star trail picture at earlier this year. The silos were surrounded by grass and soybean fields.

Delta

The soybean fields stretched off towards the horizon, which looked kinda neat in infrared.

P7120379-2

It was time to head back home, but I made one last stop at the old silo which seems to tower over all the old buildings in Scott.

P7120402

2 comments:

Cathy H. said...

You have a wonderful eye for knowing what will work with your infared camera. These are beautiful. I especially love the second one!

Cormackphotos said...

Thank you Cathy! It's been a fun camera to play around with!