Thursday, August 6, 2020

Two Churches

From Stuttgart, I headed east and drove deeper into the flat lands of the Delta. Along the way I kept a lookout for any old or interesting buildings sitting along the road.

IMG_4207-2

Further down the road was this old church, which looks to be abandoned (except for the person who kindly mows the grass out front). I wish I could find out more info about the history of this place.

IMG_4231-2

IMG_4240-2

Down the road was another old church called Wofford Chapel, which sits by a well-maintained cemetery. I was able to see a little bit about this church's history, thanks to a cornerstone that listed the date of construction (1925).

IMG_4252-2

It looks like some new siding had been applied to the church, but it has started peeling away like the layers of an onion and revealing the orginial wooden boards.

IMG_4258-2

The cemetery by the church dates back to the late 1800s/early 1900s, from back when this area was settled by African-Americans during the Migration Period that happened after the end of slavery.

IMG_4258-2

I love walking around old buildings like this and finding all the little details. Every piece of weathered wood, faded paint and rusted metal tells a little bit of a story and shares a bit of a history. It makes you wonder who built this place, and what all went on here (wedding, celebrations, funerals?).

IMG_4265-2

There is a history embedded in these places, from generations of people who have passed through here.

IMG_4261-2

IMG_4270-2

I'm thankful that there are people who still care for places like this, and I hope they don't mind people like me stopping to take a few pictures every now and then.

IMG_4273-2

No comments: