Sunday, August 9, 2020

A Delta Church

From St. Charles I crossed over the White River and headed east, eventually running by this old church. I'm not sure how old the church is, but there are graves in the cemetery here that date to the late 1800s.

IMG_4511-2

IMG_4566-2

Just out of curiosity, I tried the front door and found that it was unlocked. I invitied myself in for a bit (I grew up Methodist so I didn't think anyone would mind). The church looked like it had just been left after a service. There were hymns in the pews, decorations on the wall and a choir robes still hanging in a closet. But fallen ceiling tiles were scattered across the floor, and a thick layer of dust coated every surface. 

IMG_4516-2

It was like stepping into a time capsule. It's hard to guess how long it's been since the last service here, but it looks like it has been several years.

IMG_4519-2

The silent piano at the front still had a hymnbook open (to pages 233 & 234, for "Love Lifted Me" and All Hail The Power of Jesus' Name," if you were curious). It was very quiet and still inside the church, except for the occasional rumblings of a crop-duster spraying a field nearby.

IMG_4532-2

Cobwebs were growing by another hymnal open at the pulpit, this one open to pages 172 & 173 ("O Brother Man, Fold To Thy Heart" and "Living For Jesus"). 

IMG_4542-2

I tried to find some information about this church, but had no luck. I am thankful that the church is in such amazing condition, and it is clear that people cared for it.

No comments: