Friday, May 9, 2008

A few quick shots from the Big Dam Bridge

I've been having some minor problems with my car, which kept me at home last weekend instead of hitting the road to take some pictures. The problem, you ask? The glass in the sunroof on my car decided to shatter for some wacky reason, so I've been driving around with a garbage bag taped to the top of my car while waiting for the insurance company to get back to me. It's been nearly two weeks now, and hopefully I will get a check from my insurance company soon so I can get it fixed (State Farm sucks).

Since I didn't get to make a road trip to the Ozarks, I felt a bit restless not getting to take the camera out. So Sunday night I visited the Big Dam Bridge, the pedestrian bridge over the Arkansas River that is just a few miles from my apartment. I got there in time to catch the sunset, and eagerly awaited any cool light to hit the sky.

I sat on the bridge, looking to the west, and not much color appeared in the sky. The Big Dam Bridge is probably one of the best places in the state to catch a sunset, and I've been a bit spoiled since I saw one of the most amazing sunsets there last year. Here's a shot of it:
Stormy Sunset

Not really seeing much I headed over the river to the Little Rock side of the bridge. I rarely visit this part of the bridge, and wanted to take some photos from a different angle. I made it to the other side of the bridge, and saw that there was a sunset developing off to the west. Since I was already off the bridge, I didn't feel like going back up there, so I continued on and got this shot of the sunset from under the bridge.
Sunset from under the Big Dam Bridge

From there I walked along the River Trail, looking back at the bridge for any good views of the bridge. I found this shot of the bridge, with a large tree framing it against the river.
Big Dam Bridge and Big Dam Tree

2 comments:

Jonw said...

Love the older sunset shot--fantastic light and shot. The silhouette curve has a nice weight to it and moves well through the frame.

...so no angry people wanting you to drink with them this time? Did you wear the wrong T-shirt or something?

Keep this up with your blog--it's addictive!

Cormackphotos said...

Luckily, no crazies. They must not have found this bridge yet. I was worried about bumping into some sort of scary snake out there, lurking in the tall grass at the base of the bridge. Apparently it's a fav hangout of copperheads.