Thursday, January 27, 2022

Olde English

I was very recently saddened and disheartened to read that the town of England, Arkansas, was actually named after John England, who was some guy that used to own the land that the town was founded upon. I thought it was named after the England across the pond, and so I would always adopt an English accent whenever I drove through. It's probably for the best that I retire that now that I know that England isn't actually English, since my accent is based solely off of the Harry Potter films and the little kids from Teletubbies.

So the other weekend, I was driving towards England and made a few stops. Along the way was this old store, which looks like it had recently caught on fire.

IMG_4931

And nearby was this old store that had a collapsed roof. The front was nearly hidden by overgrown vegetation.

IMG_4937

England is an old farming town, and it is dominated by several large grain elevators.

IMG_4943-3

In the middle of town is this huge old house, which looks like it's no longer occupied. Old furniture and trash sit on the front porch, and numerous vines have snaked their way up the side of the house.

IMG_4952-4

This is another one of those places that I would love to know anything about its history. When was it built? Why is it empty? What does it look like on the inside? Alas, the only thing I could do was take pictures from the street.

IMG_4949-2

No comments: