Thursday, November 14, 2019

Pinnacle Mountain

Earlier this month I thought we were going to have lackluster fall colors this year, but Mother Nature proved me wrong. While most of the oaks turned brown, all the other trees managed to put on a decent little show. So to take advantage of the show the trees were putting on, I took the camera to work one day so I could take a few pictures on my lunch break. The office building where I collect a paycheck is located in the far western reaches of Little Rock, which means that I'm just a short drive away from Pinnacle Mountain State Park. So I headed there on a rainy day last week with a trusty umbrella to try to keep the camera dry.

I opted to do the Kingfisher Trail, which meanders along the Little Maumelle River. It had rained so much lately that the river was running high and a little muddy.

IMG_7522-2

IMG_7555-2

The next stop was the old bridge over the Maumelle River, which is reached by an old stretch of pavement that was all but abandoned in the 1980s when a new modern bridge was built nearby. The cracked and faded pavement is still used as part of the Ouachita National Recreation Trail, which runs 223 miles from Pinnacle Mountain to Oklahoma. Overgrown weeds and grass poke up from the asphalt, also showing off some fall color. In the distance was Pinnacle Mountain, partially obscured by fog.

IMG_7717-2

The bridge was built in the 1940s, and is a popular spot for hikers and people fishing (at least judging by the large number of lures and bobbers that were accidentally strung on the tress and power-lines by the bridge, like beads in New Orleans).

IMG_7688-2

And one last shot from the bridge. I had to hurry back to work after this, but I did find the time to stop at nearby Popeyes in order to try the chicken sandwich.

IMG_7645-2

No comments: