Saturday, August 29, 2026

Trainspotting

Earlier this week we actually got rain - probably the first really significant amount of rain in weeks. And the rain and clouds helped keep the temperatures down that day, resulting in a rare day this summer that wasn't over 100 degrees. Honestly it felt like a miracle to be able to actually go and enjoy being outside again.  

To celebrate the rare break in the ovenlike summer temps, I headed out around sunset to try to get a few pictures. On my way to Riverfront Park in North Little Rock, I drove by this stretch of old buildings and got a few pictures:

IMG_7085

I went to Riverfront Park in North Little Rock, but was soon kicked out by the NLR Police. Apparently the park now closes right at sunset, which it used to be open later. Not sure when or why this changed, but it does get in the way of people taking pictures down there now. So instead I headed over to the Junction Bridge and got a few pictures there instead.

IMG_7115

Maybe instead of closing the parks early and getting the police to remove people from the park, the cities should fix all the lights on the downtown bridges instead?

IMG_7124

From the Junction Bridge I headed across the river and went to the old Baring Cross Bridge. This is the oldest railroad bridge in Little Rock, and the only one that is still used by rail traffic. In fact I didn't have to wait very long for a freight train to slowly make its way across the bridge.

Baring Cross

And with a loud squeal of breaks, the train rolled to stop. On the other side of Cantrell Road there is a small bridge over the tracks, which has a nice view looking up towards Union Station and the State Capitol. The train was still stopped, but there was a slow stream of freight trains making their way to the bridge on the other track.

IMG_7160-2

No comments: