Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Ozarks

The art gallery at the University of the Ozarks was kind enough to host my photography show on the Arkansas Delta, and even had a little reception last weekend. So Caroline and I headed over to Clarksville for the reception, and for a trip down memory lane.

I'm a graduate of the U of O, having attended college there way back in the olden days (I had a scary realization that I probably graduated the same year that some of the current students there were born). The college has a long history. It was established in 1834, and is the oldest college in Arkansas. It was also the first college in the state to admit women (in 1875), and was the first predominately-white college in Arkansas to integrate (in 1957). And some very notable people have graduated from there, like me (I feel like I can make that joke since I'm still paying back my student loans!). But it's a small school, and it often gets unfairly confused with the very conservative College of the Ozarks in Missouri.

After the reception was over, we walked by the old Munger Chapel. The chapel was built in 1933, with some of the labor coming from students as a sort of work-study job. Which sounds a lot more difficult than the work-study job I had when I was there.

IMG_2093

No comments: