Sunday, January 28, 2024

Longpool

I wasn't able to get out and take pictures during the "Snowpacalypse" that recently hit Arkansas. Which was only about 3-4 inches of snow for us, but it was enough to shut down the schools for five days. But I did take off work last week to make a quick trip to the University of the Ozarks in Clarksville, which is kind enough to host my Delta photo exhibition at their art gallery for the next month.

On the way there, I decided to make a visit to the Longpool recreation area, which is along Big Piney Creek in the Ozark National Forest. The creek was running high and muddy, swollen by heavy rains and melting snow.

IMG_0835

There was still some icy spots on the roads there, enough that the car slid a bit (with all those framed pictures jostling around in the back of the car). A thick fog drifted through the trees and along the tops of the hills.

IMG_0853

I started the short hike to Longpool Falls. The trail starts out from the campground and runs along a hill that stands up above the Big Piney. It then drops down and meets up with a smaller creek. There is a great little waterfall here, which is about 10 feet tall.

IMG_0876-2

IMG_0889

IMG_0897-2

From there I made the short hike to Longpool Falls. I should know better, but I can never seem to find the best trail to the waterfall. I always seem to follow the path that scrambles over rocks and boulders. On this trip, many of them were still covered with ice. But I safely made it to the falls (I only slipped and fell once out there). I was careful to find a spot under the bluff that was not under any of the massive icicles, which could break off and fall at any moment now that it was above freezing.

IMG_0910

Longpool Falls is 44 feet-tall, and was quite loud. The sound of the falling water seemed to echo off the surrounding bluffline.

IMG_0920

It is a neat waterfall, but one you need to see after periods of heavy rain. Usually when I'm here the falls are just barely flowing.

IMG_0927

I checked the time and realized I was going to be late for my appointment in Clarksville. So I hurried back (as best as I could over the icy rocks) on the trail to the car. But I stopped one last time to get a picture of the narrow road in the campground, which curved through some foggy trees.

IMG_0942

No comments: