Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Stuttgart

Last weekend I had to run and errand in Stuttgart, so I headed out into the Delta as it poured down rain outside. I remembered to bring the camera (and the memory card, always important), so I stopped at a few places to take pictures. I drove by the old Riceland Hotel and got this shot of the building. The hotel was built in 1923 but was closed and abandoned in the 1970s. If you want to see some shots of the hotel's interior, check out this post from 2017.

IMG_1897-2

Stuttgart is known for two things - duck hunting and rice farming. It is the home to Riceland Foods, the largest miller of rice in the world. So it's no surprise that there are several buildings dedicated to processing and storing rice located throughout town. This tall silo (at least I think that's what it is) sits right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, but I don't think it's used much anymore.

IMG_1903-2

IMG_1931-2

Nearby were these old disused railroad tracks, which were collecting the rain water.

IMG_1912-2

Stuttgart was incorporated in 1889, and the first mayor was a grandson of Davy Crockett.

IMG_1944-4

It was pouring down rain when I was there, in fact it was enough that there was a flash flood warning for the area. Both the camera and I got soaked taking pictures of this abandoned gas station.

IMG_1955-2

IMG_1964

In fact if you look closely, you can see the raindrops pounding the top of the old gas pump in this shot:

IMG_1967

After that I ducked back into the car and tried to dry the camera off, and then headed off to get a few more pictures before heading home. Those photos coming soon - same blog time, same blog channel!

No comments: