Monday, November 29, 2010

Pinnacle Mountain

So our early morning adventure continued after I got back in the car, transferring several little grass seeds onto the interior of the car. I followed the on-ramp to the freeway and headed south over the River, and then headed out to Pinnacle Mountain State Park.

The fog wasn't as thick as it had been along the river, but it mixed well with the few remaining bits of fall color left. I stopped first at the Kingfisher Trail, and did the short and easy hike there. I took my time on the trail, enjoying the scenery. There wasn't anyone else out there, or so I thought. I was startled again when a jogger rushed by. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person, with pants half-soaked from standing in water or dew-covered plants. Add to that the bizarre layer of plant seeds coating my legs.

And to prove that I'm not grossly exaggerating - here is a shot taken from that morning, showing off the coating of seeds....
PB217923
A helpful hint if you're ever in this situation. Running the seed-covered clothes through the washer and dryer helps. In fact, about 90% of the seeds fell off in the dryer and ended up in the lint trap. A few did end up attached to the other clothes in the dryer, so I had to spend a few mornings at work picking off wayward seeds.

But enough about my wardrobe malfunctions. I hiked along the trail, enjoying the morning and the fog. This is a view looking down at the Little Maumelle River, which was running very low...
PB217965

My next stop was the old Hwy. 300 bridge over the Maumelle River. This old bridge is a neat spot, built back in the 1920s. The bridge was replaced by a modern bridge in the 1980s, but you can still reach the old bridge by following part of the old road that was cut off when the new bridge was completed. The old road is overgrown by tall plants, and is a neat little hike.

The old bridge had a coating of fallen leaves on it, which I thought made for an interesting picture...
PB218150

After that, my lack of sleep was catching up with me so I decided to return home to a warm bed....

No comments: