Friday, March 20, 2009

Rock Store AR

As I made my way home, I traveled north on Hwy. 23 towards the town of Ozark. I've made this drive maybe a thousand times while visiting family in the area, passing by one particular sign. The sign is a typical sign that you would see as you pass into any city or town, except this one is set somewhat discretely to the side of the road, situated with a view of a pasture beyond. Usually these signs face the road, announcing your arrival into a town. But for some reason this sign sits off of the road, and is probably barely visible to the traffic that passes by.

The sign is for Rock Store AR, population 141. I have always been curious about this place, and how that sign came to be there. I tried to do some online research on this Rock Store, but came up with nothing. Google Maps doesn't acknowledge the existence of any town named that in the area (it says the spot where this sign is at is called Wittich, Arkansas). And a search for Rock Store, Arkansas, just comes up with a list of stores that sell rocks....
Rock Store AR

No comments: