Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Nashville

A few weeks ago, we took a quick trip to Nashville. My wife had just started back at her job and she needed to go there for a work trip. I was still off from my job, so we packed the car and headed east into Tennessee with the baby. Since I wasn't working, the baby and I were left with some free time during the day. So on our first day there, I thought I'd take him out to take some pictures with me. There is actually a waterfall about an hour and a half away from Nashville that I've been to twice before, but I haven't yet been able to get a decent picture of it. So I thought I could make the drive with the kid, do the short hike to the falls and take some pictures. And just hope that the baby wouldn't mind the drive or the walk.

But after sitting in the car seat for five hours the day before, the baby was not happy about being stuck in it again. After a few bouts of crying on the drive, we finally made it to the waterfall. But then of course, I saw the large sign in the parking lot that said: "DUE TO EXTENSIVE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE - The metal staircase and trail to the base of the main falls, the main falls overlook and the middle falls overlook are closed to the public. We apologize for the inconvenience." Well crap.

So we turned around and headed back to Nashville. But along the way I did stop and take a picture of this old barn that is guarded by a tall oak tree.

IMG_6713-3

The next day we decided to keep the driving to a minimum and spent the day in Nashville. The baby and I headed downtown, and while he snoozed in the stroller I took a few pictures of the old train station. Built in 1900, the Union Station is a beautiful old building. It operated as a train station until 1979, when it was closed due to a lack of interest in rail travel. In order to save the building, it was converted into a hotel in the 1980s.

IMG_6850-2

That night I was able to get back out and get a few shots of the Nashville skyline from the pedestrian bridge that crosses over the Cumberland River.

IMG_6962-2

There must have been a photography club out on the bridge, because there was probably fifty people there with cameras and tripods roaming around. The bridge does provide a terrific view of the Nashville skyline.

IMG_6980-2

IMG_7011-3

The bridge was built in 1909, and was converted into a pedestrian bridge in 2003. From the bridge you can easily hear strains of music playing from the bars and clubs downtown. It's well worth a visit if you're visiting Nashville.

IMG_7021-2

No comments: