Thursday, January 30, 2014

Junction Bridge

So it has been a bit chilly this winter, and going out to take pictures when it's below freezing isn't the funnest way to pass time. But on Sunday it was actually warm, with the temperature up in the 60s. So I took advantage of the sunlight and warmth and drove to take pictures of the new lights on the bridges in downtown Little Rock.

I left home a few minutes too late, and just barely missed the sunset. I was going over the I-30 bridge and saw the sky lit up in bright oranges and red. By the time I stopped at a good spot for a picture, the best light had faded away some.

P1265299

I headed over to the Junction Bridge to take a few pictures as it began to get dark. The Junction Bridge is an old railroad bridge that was built in 1884, but converted into a pedestrian bridge in 2008. It's one of the best places to get pictures of the Little Rock skyline.

P1265337

The Junction Bridge also sits right on top of the actual "little rock" that gave the city its name. In fact most of the old rock was destroyed when the bridge was built (apparently historic preservation wasn't that big of a deal back in the 19th century). The city built a nice plaza at the foot of the bridge a few years ago, and put a few chunks of the rock on display.

P1265351-3

I've been meaning to get out and take pictures of the downtown bridges for a few weeks now. The electric company recently installed some fancy new LED lights on the Main Street, Junction and Clinton Park Bridges. The new lights definitely make the bridges stand out more.

P1265356-2

I was amazed at how still the river was that night. There was hardly any wind, and the river looked like glass.

P1265366-3

And one last shot of the Junction Bridge, from Riverfront Park in North Little Rock:

P1265383

This is a great place to take pictures. The only downside is that when you're hungry, you can start smelling all of the aromas from every nearby restaurant in the River Market District and Argenta. I hadn't had dinner yet, so I was starving the whole time I was taking pictures out there.

2 comments:

Ron Moore said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm visiting Little Rock this week, so I was wondering what the best plan of attack was for skyline photos.

Cormackphotos said...

Ron, I think this and maybe Fort Roots are the best places for LR skyline shots. Hope you have fun and get lots of pictures!