Monday, June 15, 2009

Six Finger Falls

From Falling Water Falls, we drove a few miles to the north to hit our last waterfall of the day. It had been a long day, and we had great timing at these falls. Again, we got there and had the falls all to ourselves. The last time I visited these falls there were some idiots camping on the rocks right on top of the waterfall.

These falls aren't very tall - only just about six feet high. The falls get their name because the creek has carved six channels into the rock here, which from above looks like a hand with six fingers. We walked around and dropped down by the creek, but the falls were blocked by these boulders. It is a very scenic little spot.


Six Finger Falls sit right at the edge of the Richland Creek Wilderness. From here, Falling Water Creek runs right into Richland Creek, which then flows into the Buffalo River. The Richland Creek Wilderness is an amazing area, with great (but hard to reach) waterfalls. Sadly, Falling Water Road is still blocked from a landslide that occurred last year. There's no telling how long it will be before the Forest Service manages to get it cleared out.

As I was taking the above shot, the camera flashed something that strikes fear into any photographer standing at a great spot like this - the "low battery" warning. Apparently the chilly night before and the day full of shooting took its toll on the poor battery. I changed formats in the hope of getting as much juice out of the battery, and then rushed around trying to get as many shots of the falls as I could.

I dropped down on this one flat rock right by the creek, which was flanked by this small baby bluff. Water was dripping off, creating some tiny waterfalls.

I wasn't sure how much power the battery had left, so I tried to get as many shots as I could at different spots. This is the view from the side of the falls, with three of the six fingers visible.


And the view from above the falls. There were two pools that were filled with tadpoles up there.

Zack's camera battery had also died, so it seemed like our photo day was drawing to a close...

No comments: