Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Camera!

I had a really good Christmas this year - I spent some wonderful time with friends and family, looking back on the joys of the holiday season. And also I got some cool presents. There was a new FC Dallas jersey, a new tripod, and a new camera! My wife surprised me with a new Canon 6D, which means that I've finally moved on to the Dark Side after shooting Pentax and Olympus for years.

My first real camera was a Pentax P30T, which I got in either 1994 or 1995 (I'm too old to remember now). It was a good camera to start learning photography on, since you had to figure out your own focus and exposures. It even managed to get me through the intense and Pulitzer-level photojournalism that I did with the North Little Rock High School yearbook. I upgraded in 1999 to a trusty Pentax ZX50, which came with a few more bells and whistles. In 2006 I finally joined the digital world and bought an Olympus e500 (which I was very proud of at the time, although phones now have more megapixels than that camera). In 2010 I moved up to an Olympus E30. I've really enjoyed that camera, and loved the pictures it produced. But a few months ago we decided it was time to move into the world of full-frame cameras. So after a few months of saving, we upgraded again to the Canon 6D. I do feel a twinge of sadness, like I'm cheating on Olympus.

But the new camera is awesome! After opening the box and charging the batteries (the Olympus came with charged batteries you know), I took the camera out for a few test shots. This is one of our dogs, a Shetland Sheepdog, who was happy to model for a few pictures.

IMG_0046-3

That night I took the camera out to try to get a few more pictures. It was a little awkward, since I was trying to use a new tripod and a new camera at the same time. Also it was raining, so I was trying to hold an umbrella over the lens at the same time.

IMG_0120-3

Took the camera out again the next morning, but not after spending the time and actually looking through the instruction manual first. I'm proud to say that I haven't yet managed to drop or break the new camera yet (so far).

No comments: