Sunday, November 23, 2014

Boxley Valley

The sun was just about to rise above the mountains, so I headed over to Boxley Valley to try to get a few more pictures. The road was lined with cars, as people were parked trying to get a good view of the elk herd that calls Boxley home. I usually don't stop here, but I pulled over to the side of the road this time. The field in which the elk were standing was white with frost. I joined the line of people elk gazing or taking pictures with lenses that were longer than my arm.

PB016367-3

I parked by this old barn, where a few cows were hanging out.

PB016391-2

Boxley Valley is very similar to Cades Cove in the Smokies, where there is a great collection of old homes and barns that are over a century old. But in Boxley, the original residents were allowed to live and farm the land in the valley. So places like the Baptist Church, which was built in the 1870s, are still being used.

PB016419-2

I think this is an old root cellar, which sits at what is now the start of the Buffalo River Trail.

PB016454-3

I tried to get a few more shots, but the light had gotten harsh. I love taking pictures in Boxley, it's such an amazing area.

PB016491-2

I finally ended up heading back home, sleepily making the 3 hour drive back to Little Rock. I was looking forward to getting back home to my loving wife, crazy dogs, and a bed where I could take a nice nap.

No comments: