Friday, March 23, 2012

Dogtown Falls & Emerald Park

A massive storm passed through Arkansas this past week, which meant that the waterfalls were running like crazy all over the state. But I'm trying to carefully conserve my vacation time, so I was sequestered at work when the prime waterfall conditions were happening.

But luckily, there is a waterfall in central Arkansas. One that is just a short drive from my apartment. So on Thursday night, I headed out to Emerald Park in North Little Rock to pay a visit to Dogtown Falls (aka Emerald Falls). These falls aren't the tallest, or the most scenic, but are great since you can visit them after you get off work...

Zack was in town, so I met up with him and we made the short hike to the falls. The waterfall is located in a somewhat hidden niche along the side of the hill. It's a short walk to the falls, although it does require a bit of a steep hike.
P3229258x

After taking a few pictures of the waterfall, we drove up to the top of the hill to the main entrance to Emerald Park. The park has paved trails that run along the steep bluffs along the "Big Rock," which stands high above what was once a large quarry.
P3229277x

I hadn't been to the park recently, and I had forgotten how great the view was here. There is an amazing overlook that shows the curve of the Arkansas River, with Pinnacle Mountain and the low hills of the Ouachita Mountains in the distance.
P3229294

No comments: