Thursday, July 23, 2026

Rocky Mountain National Park - Trail Ridge Road Part 1

The next day we went back into the park and visited a few places like Hidden Valley and the Alluvial Fan. But it was bright and sunny with nary a cloud in the sky so I didn't take too many pictures. We then headed back to Estes Park, where we met up with my cousin Eric (he moved to Colorado and was nice enough to drive over to visit).

But that evening some clouds started to build up over the mountains, so I hurried back into the park to try to get some pictures before sunset. I drove up Trail Ridge Road, which has been called the "Highway To The Sky." The road starts out near Estes Park and then runs high up in the mountains for 48 miles. It runs above the tree line to elevation over 12,000 feet, which makes it the highest paved road in North America. The views along the road are phenomenal and luckily there are many pull-offs and overlooks along the way. This one was at the beginning of the drive, not too far from the park entrance.

P6309144

And then I stopped at another pull-off, with this view looking towards Morraine Park and Eagle Cliff Mountain.    

IMG_5706

I was really focused on taking pictures (pun intended) and didn't notice that I wasn't alone. I put the camera down and looked over and realized I was just a foot or two away from this bird. It was perched on a sign, and also seemed to be taking in the view as well (or wondering if it could eat me?). I admit I was startled when I saw the bird, and may have let out a little squeak when I saw it was so close.

IMG_5692-2

I got a few pictures of it, then went back to the car to grab the infrared camera.

P6309163

The bird was still there, so I started taking pictures it again since it was being so nice to model for me. I started talking to it, calling it a "pretty bird" and thanking it for letting me take its picture. After our one-sided conversation, I turned around and was startled again to see a woman standing nearby watching me interact with my new bird friend. I smiled in a way that I hope conveyed "I'm not crazy!" and then got in the car. She started taking pictures of the bird as I drove off.

IMG_5697

The next stop was the Many Parks Overlook. The overlook gets its name because from here, you can see many parks (like Morraine Park, Horseshoe Park and the Upper Beaver Meadows). You can also get a view of Longs Peak, the tallest mountain in the National Park with an elevation of 14,259 feet.

IMG_5713

The overlook sits at an elevation of 9,691 feet.

P6309166

The overlook actually does sit on a sharp curve in the road.

IMG_5740

P6309178

Then Trail Ridge Road starts really gaining elevation as it climbs higher up the mountains. I stopped again at the Rainbow Curve overlook, which sits at a height of 10,875 feet.

IMG_5741-2

It's a great view - one of the best in the Park (in my opinion). From here you can see Horseshoe Park, Deer Mountain, the Alluvial Fan and the Mummy Mountain Range.

IMG_5780-2

And it was here that I realized I made a pretty big mistake. I left Estes Park in a hurry, and in my haste I forgot to change clothes. I was still wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and did not think to bring anything warmer to wear. There was already a significant drop in the temperature compared to Estes Park, but surely it wouldn't get too much colder, right? Stay tuned for Part 2 of our Trail Ridge Road adventure, same Bat-Time same Bat-Channel to find out what happens next!

(Spoiler alert - yeah, it got a lot colder out there above the tree line)

No comments: