Monday, August 28, 2023

A Sky Full Of Stars And Mosquitoes

Recently we had one of those rare and blessedly cool string of days, which was like an oasis during the blast of furnace heat we've had this summer. It was actually pleasant to be outside. Which meant that it might be a good time to attempt some star trail pictures.

So one night after work I packed up the camera gear and hurried out to an abandoned church near Keo. And while I remembered all the camera gear, I made one major flaw. I forgot to bring bug spray. To the Delta. In the summer. As soon as I exited the car, I was immediately attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes. I tried to set up the camera, all while skeeters were biting my arms, legs, and neck. I tried to get the camera in focus while their high-pitched whine rang in my ears.

It was all for nothing. The camera lens fogged up after about thirty minutes and nearly all of the shots were useless. Whoops. But I think it's a good spot, so I'll try again. But maybe in the winter when there won't be any mosquitoes to deal with.

I did wipe the condensation off the lens and tried to get a shot of the church, with a sky filled with stars above. You can just barely make out the Milky Way, I think it would be brighter if it wasn't so close to Central Arkansas' blob of light pollution.

IMG_6699-Edit-2

No comments: