Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Waverly

From Cotton Plant, I drove further east into the Delta. The drive took me through small towns and fields, and even by one police officer who pulled me over for speeding (but was kind enough to let me go on a warning, thanks!). I made a few stops, including this one at an old abandoned building that had this strange clump of dead vine stuck to its side.

Delta

And then in the town of Wynne I stopped by the railroad tracks to get as shot (but didn't stay there too long, a big freight train passed by a few minutes later).

Riding the rails

I managed to keep my speed under control as I drove towards West Memphis and then stopped by this old church, which was surrounded by a sea of tall grass. The sun was starting to set, and golden light was streaming in from the west.

Delta

An old propane tank sat by the church, flanked by two windows that had some some wispy and ghostly remains of curtains. I wasn't able to find much info about this church, but did see a post that determined that the church was once called St. John's Missionary Baptist Church.

Delta

Just down the road is what I think was an old cotton gin that was once part of the Waverly Plantation.

Waverly

I wasn't able to find any info on when this building was constructed, but it may have been sometime in the 1920s or 1930s.

Wizards of Waverly Place

Vines and ivy were growing wild on the back of the building, which was empty on the inside (except for a few owls who were living inside).

Waverly

Next to the building were soybean fields and a few other buildings, and also a stretch of mud that had dried out in the summer heat.

Waverly

The cracked and dried mud created some interesting patterns and colors.

Cracked

And some last shots, of a few plants that managed to catch hold in the mud and have grown up from the splintered dirt.

Delta

Sprout

No comments: