Monday, November 12, 2018

Foggy morning along the Buffalo

I had made all sorts of optimistic plans for the morning, where I would quickly drive across several beautiful spots along the Buffalo River before we had to check out of our cabin and return home. But of course, I ended up forgetting to set my alarm and I overslept. So after waking up I sleepily grabbed the camera and managed to make it out of the cabin with some time remaining to take a few pictures.

The conditions were perfect (at least for photography). Thick fog had shrouded the mountains, and a light rain was saturating the fall colors. It was one of the days that you just wanted to stop every five feet to take pictures of something different.

IMG_3028-2

IMG_3038-2

I ended up passing through Boxley Valley again, and made a few stops at some places that I missed the day before. This is a shot of the old Villines Cabin, a log house that is believed to have been built in 1853. The house eventually was used as a barn.

IMG_3040-2

And a few more shots from Boxley:

IMG_3053-2

IMG_3070

IMG_3076-2

IMG_3080-2

From there I headed back over to Steele Creek, slowly following the curvy road down to the river.

IMG_3093-2

IMG_3097-2

The thick fog was clinging to the top of the mountains, while the river and the campground was still pretty quiet.

IMG_3105-2

IMG_3112-2

On the way back to the cabin I followed a dirt road which passed by this old building, nearly obscured by trees and brush.

IMG_3137-2

And one last shot, taken while heading back to the cabin. This old white barn sat right by the road, with a perfect view of fog-covered hills behind it.

IMG_3150-3

No comments: