Friday, September 28, 2018

The Delta On A Rainy Day

Last Saturday it poured down heavy rain, with a little flash flooding in some areas. Which probably wasn’t the best weather to be out taking pictures, but I was foolish enough to head out into the storm with my camera (which managed to somehow stay reasonably dry all day). I headed out to the flat Delta lands around the towns of Scott and Keo, trying to hopefully get some pictures of some neat old buildings. I had done some searching on Google Maps looking for stuff to get pictures of, and managed to find six places I wanted to visit. But of course, half of those places were busts.

But I did manage to find a few neat old churches which have been left abandoned. The first was near Scott, which is neat little town with all sorts of interesting old historic buildings. This church was along a bumpy dirt road, surrounded by fields. The front door was open, welcoming in the heavy rain.

IMG_0731-2

IMG_0746-2

I headed south as the rain poured down, the water collecting and overflowing in the creeks and ditches alongside the road.

IMG_0876-2

After sliding around on a muddy dirt road I eventually found this other old church, which also sat empty and abandoned (although someone is still kind enough to mow the grass around it).

IMG_0878-2

IMG_0881-2

IMG_0891-2

The rain began to slack off a bit, although the landscape was still soaked. I drove by this old road and stopped for a picture (I definitely didn't drive down it - my old car would have gotten immediately stuck in the mud there).

IMG_0905-2

Further south was another church, but this one was actually much harder to find. While it was located right alongside the road, it was almost entirely hidden by trees and brush.

IMG_0923-3

I tried to get closer to the church, which wasn't easy since the church was nearly cocooned by massive vines of poison ivy. And if you look closely at the top of the window, there is massive wasp nest. Luckily that congregation had already left and didn't attack anyone trying to get too close to the old building.

IMG_0919-2

However, I didn't manage to escape unscathed. I got a little too close to the poison ivy here, which is making my arm itch now just typing this.

No comments: